Research Excellence Framework (REF) 2014
(19 December 2014)
The University of Manchester's place as one of the UK's top research universities was confirmed in the results of the Research Excellence Framework (REF) 2014.
And, within the Faculty of Humanities, the results are looking, on the whole, positive, with 69% of research outputs judged to be world leading (4*) or internationally excellent (3*), with 24% at 4*.
78% of our research activity, overall, was also judged to be 4* or 3*, with 33% at 4*.
We provided 20 submissions across 17 Units of Assessment - a testament to the breadth of our scholarly activity. Of those 20:
- 18 were judged to be world leading (4*) or internationally excellent (3*) on environment, and
- 10 of those 20 were judged as 4* or 3* for their impact.
The President and Vice-Chancellor, Prof Nancy Rothwell, highlighted some of our principal successes in her message:
- Business and Management
- Anthropology and Development Studies
- Modern Languages and Linguistics
As you may be aware, REF 2014 introduced ‘impact cases’ to assess the economic, social and cultural impact of our research.
Nine units of assessment also had 70% of research outputs rated at 4*/3* and these were:
- Art History
- English Language and Literature
- Modern Languages