Is your Blackboard course ready?
(19 December 2014)
Please make sure your Bb course is activated and ready when it goes live to students on Monday, 19 January 2015.
You can access Blackboard via My Manchester for staff. Click on the link to Blackboard in the Teaching category of links (you may need to click on ‘View all’). You will be able to see and update your Bb course in the Course List on the Blackboard home page within 24-48 hours of it being activated.
Activating your course
The course academic lead is responsible for making sure Bb courses are activated. However, some schools/programmes have local arrangements for activation. Bb courses may be activated by anyone listed as primary instructor in Campus Solutions.
If you have not yet activated your semester 2 course units, please follow the instructions below to do so.
- Find out how to activate your course - this includes details about rolling forward your 2013/14 course. Also see ‘Standard Course Structure’ below. You can activate your Bb course as soon as it has been set up in Campus Solutions. Check with your school/programme administrator if you cannot see the Bb course listed in the portlet.
- You can find the link to activate the Bb course via the new My Manchester for staff:
- Log into http://my.manchester.ac.uk
- Click on the A-Z link (top right hand corner)
- Click on ‘M’ in the A-Z index
- Scroll down and click on the ‘My courses (Blackboard)’ link
- Click on the ‘Future’ tab to see your 2014/2015 courses
- Click on the blue i (information icon) to begin the activation process
Standard Course Structure
- A new Blackboard template has been created for each School for 2014/15. As there have been a number of changes to the templates in the last couple of years, we recommend that you use the new School template to activate your course for the coming academic year and copy only the material you require from the 2013-14 version of your course. This is an easy process and will take only a few minutes.
- Please note - activating an exact copy of your 2013-14 course will copy unwanted files/old documents, old Grade Centre columns and old Turnitin submission links. This material will become automatically available to students at the beginning of Semester unless removed or edited.
- If your course code has changed, the previous year’s course will not be available for rolling forward so you will need to choose the new template and copy across your content.
Preparing content for Bb courses
Read more information on Preparing Blackboard 9 courses for start of year and semester 2 on the Knowledge Base.
Blackboard 9 maintenance periods for 2014/15
Bb9 will be unavailable, due to maintenance and downtime, from 4pm on Thursday 26 March until 12:01pm on Monday, 30 March 2015. Please factor in these dates when timetabling assignment submission dates and key course activities.
Please contact the eLearning Team if you have any queries.