Open meeting on creating a Staff Learning & Development network
(5 September 2016)
Learning is central to the University. Great effort goes into giving thousands of students who come here every year the best learning experience. So it follows that the emphasis on the learning and development (L&D) of the approximately 11,000 colleagues who work for the University is also growing in importance and prominence.
If you are a leader, manager or supervisor, a key part of your role is to encourage the learning and development of your colleagues. But there are also many others of us who spend some or even most of our time helping our colleagues learn and develop. The Staff Learning and Development team are establishing plans to support and encourage colleagues in this role (whether they manage others or not) through the creation of an informal network.
To gather feedback and ideas, an open meeting will be held on Wednesday 14 September in Lecture Theatre B on the ground floor of Roscoe Building from 12.00 until 1pm. Drinks and biscuits will be provided.
The session will be led by Jonathan Winter – Head of Staff Learning & Development (pictured). He will present some ideas on how such a network might support its members and ask for views on some ideas for the network, using live voting technology. Questions will include:
- What kind of networking works for you? Face to face, online or both?
- What tools would you need to improve the learning support you provide?
- What kind of learning materials would you appreciate being available to you?
- How should contribution to the development of colleagues be recognised and rewarded?
- If network events were scheduled with key speakers, what kind of people would you like to hear speak – academics, L&D specialists, leaders from HE, leaders from other sectors?
Colleagues attending the open meeting will be able to influence the creation of this new network and sign up to join if they wish.
- Please register to attend the open meeting (University log in required) or email email@example.com if you have any questions.