Research Review Exercise 2017-18
(11 January 2018)
The Research Review Exercise(RRE) has launched and REF-eligible staff will have until midnight on Wednesday 31 January 2018 to complete.
The RRE is an annual mandatory exercise for all REF-eligible staff. It updates our records of research outputs (publications), impact and other research activities. It involves peer review of outputs, providing grades and feedback for the quality of key individual research outputs.
The RRE is one element of our research strategy to help raise the quality of research across the University, to improve the quality of internal management information and to enable us to prepare our submission to the Research Excellence Framework (REF2021).
What do I need to do
1. Propose outputs
Log into Pure and use the RRE tab to update your output selection by proposing all of the outputs that you believe are likely to be judged internationally excellent (3*) or world-leading (4*). You can now submit as many sole and multi-authored outputs as you have. We expect that most individuals will have fewer than six new outputs to submit. Some staff may not have any new outputs published since the last RRE to propose for review, and in these cases are simply checking their output record. In exceptional cases we may not review every output submitted by an individual.
Remember that all journal articles and conference proceedings accepted for publication since 1 April 2016 should be submitted using the deposit form via Open Access Gateway, rather than directly into Pure. Allow one working day for them to appear in Pure.
You will need to provide output supporting text for each output that you rank, please see the guidance from your Faculty.
2. Update your activities and impact
Please update your ‘Activities’ and any ‘Impacts’ within PURE (please see further guidance). This information is incredibly valuable for the university and we particularly appreciate your time spent recording this. You can also choose to make this information public on your external web profile. It is recognised that some staff will have little or nothing to report in these areas, depending on the focus and stage of their research.
3. Provide your ORCID
We encourage all researchers to register for an ORCID and ensure it is recorded in Pure. You can register directly from Pure if you have not already done so (further guidance is available). You may also wish to review other data in your profile, to ensure that it is up-to-date, and to decide which information you wish to make public.
- The deadline for selecting outputs for the RRE is midnight on Wednesday 31st January 2018.
- From February to May, all proposed outputs will be peer-reviewed and graded using the REF quality levels (Unclassified, 1*, 2*, 3*, 4*). Some outputs graded in previous RREs may be re-scored as part of the preparation for the REF Unit of Assessment submission.
- From early June 2018, after review is complete, staff will be able to see the grade awarded to each of their outputs.
- For more information, how-to guides and FAQs, please visit the RRE webpages on Staffnet.
- For support about Pure more generally including updating your research profile, visit the Pure webpages on Staffnet.