How to apply for a Q-Step summer internship
Applications for 2018 international internships closed on 2 March 2018. Applications for 2018 domestic internships closed on 13 April 2018.
Pre-internship training for successful applicants will take place in Manchester on 21-22 June 2018.
Successfully placed students then conduct their internships from the end of June or start of July to late August or early September, by arrangement with the host organisation and for a maximum of eight weeks.
Students were paid at a rate of £7.59 an hour in 2017, this year's rate will be confirmed soon.
Applying for an internship
To check whether you are eligible to apply for a Q-Step summer internship please visit:
Please take a look at the list of summer internships. In 2018, we have four international opportunities (two in Melbourne, two in Washington D.C.) which have an earlier application deadline (2 March).
Students can apply for up to three of these. If you are offered an international internship, we expect you to commit to it.
Students can also apply for up to three UK-based placements.
You can apply for both domestic and international (6 in total).
You will need to send a separate email for each application made. Each application should include the following
- Your CV
- A covering letter which must include the following information:
- the reference number and title of the placement that you are interested in as described in the project outline
- the name of your degree course and the second year ‘Q-step eligible’ quantitative course unit you are taking (see who can apply)
- your grade average for Year 1 of your degree, plus your grade average for semester one course units of Year 2
- Up to 500 words saying why you interested in the placement and why you think you are suited
We may share covering letters with the organisation offering the placement. Documents, such as your CV and covering letter, should be sent as attachments to: email@example.com, with the subject heading to reflect the project title (eg "Ref 5: UoMQStep 2018 AudienceNet London")
In preparing your application you should consult the Careers Service website which includes guidance on writing CVs and covering letters.
Please note that the Careers Service is happy to give guidance and support to Q-Step applicants. For more information, please visit the following link:
You should also read the information on available bursaries which you may be eligible to apply for:
- We will acknowledge your application within one week
- International placements:
- If shortlisted you will be invited for an interview in early March
- Domestic placements:
- If shortlisted you will be invited for an interview in mid-April to end of May
- There may be a two-stage interview depending on which organisation the placement is with
- Conditional offers will then be made to successful candidates
- In addition you will be required to attend a two-day workshop ‘preparing for summer internships which will be held in June after the examination period
- Placements will run between end-June to early-September (start dates and duration vary between placements and should be discussed with the host organisation)
Note: As a condition of the funding, all students will be expected to provide a report of their experience on the summer placement in the form of a poster, which they will present as part of a Q-Step dissemination event in Manchester in the autumn. Three reflective pieces of work are also required. Other outputs may be required by the organisation.
Contact details for enquiries are covered in each of the placement outlines.
For general enquiries on the summer internship programme, please send an email to: