Our postgraduate research in the Faculty of Humanities makes a contribution to addressing the social, economic and political challenges that we face.
Find a PhD programme
The Faculty of Humanities:
- offers world-class training, supervision and facilities for over 1000 postgraduate researchers.
- invests more than £6 million each year from internal and external sources in support of our postgraduate researchers.
- provides over 150 full studentships annually, including through the University’s flagship Presidential Doctoral Scholarship Award Scheme.
- collaborates with universities and institutions outside the higher education sector, both nationally and internationally.
- partners with research council-funded doctoral training centres, partnerships and research centres.
- provides our postgraduate researchers with opportunities to develop knowledge exchange and employability skills with a range of non-HEI partners through a dedicated PGR placement scheme.
- provides interdisciplinary training and researcher development opportunities through methods@manchester, artsmethods@manchester and our Researcher Development Team.
Learn about how we support our postgraduate students, including information about supervisors, conferences and workshops.
In 2016 we invested over £5.4 million in our postgraduate researchers. We can help you to access funds for conference, travel and fieldwork.
Research training and professional development
Find out how we can help you to develop your research skills and prepare you for your next steps.
We collaborate with other higher education institutes and external partners to provide opportunities for our postgraduate researchers.
We have a range of flagship institutes, centres and networks, and our research is based within our five Schools.
We combine disciplines and capabilities to meet the challenges of research and the demands of government, business and communities.
Manchester Doctoral College
Manchester Doctoral College (MDC) has oversight of all doctoral training and researcher development across The University of Manchester.
Postgraduate research handbooks
PGR handbooks are a guide for researchers studying in our four Faculty schools - ALC, Law, Social Sciences and SEED.