Research Excellence Framework 2014
Our REF submission and positive outcomes from REF2014 demonstrate the remarkable breadth and quality of our scholarly activity.
The University is one of the UK’s top research universities – ranked in fifth place in terms of research power according to the UK’s 2014 Research Excellence Framework (REF2014) (grade point average times number of staff submitted; and on 4*/3* times number of staff submitted).
- The Faculty of Humanities made 20 submissions across 17 Units of Assessment.
- This involved 79% of our eligible staff.
- The high quality of our research was recognised with 78% of the overall research activity in the Faculty of Humanities judged to be world leading (4*) or internationally excellent (3*), with 33% at 4*.
- This overall score reflects the high standing of the Faculty’s publications and other outputs, our research environment and the impact of our research.
- More than two in three of our research outputs (69%) were judged to be world leading (4*) or internationally excellent (3*), with 24% at 4*.
- The research environment was judged to be 100% world leading or internationally excellent (4*/3*) in 18 of our 20 Units of Assessment.
- Ten of our twenty units were judged to be 100% 4*/3* for the economic, social or cultural impact of their research.
- Twelve of our 20 Units of Assessment were ranked in the top ten nationally, of which seven were ranked in the top five for Grade Point Average or research power.
- Those ranked in the top five are Sociology, Anthropology and Development Studies, Drama, Business and Management and Modern Languages and Linguistics.
- The other six which ranked in the top ten are Art History, History, Economics and Econometrics, Law, Politics and International Relations, and Education.