What is Reflective Learning?
There are various definitions of "reflective learning" and much has been written on the subject. Nevertheless, it is generally understood that reflection as it applies to learning is a skill, that can be summarised as:
- the ability to look back over an experience and break it down into its significant aspects, such as any factors affecting success or failure
- a means of learning by making links between theory and practice (or learning and action)
- a means of improving performance, by using the outcome of reflection to inform future practice
- a way of recognising, and maximising the personal value of, a learning experience
- a way of turning surface learning into deep learning