How to apply
Q-Step internships will be going ahead this year and all placements will take place in line with COVID-19 restrictions. The deadline for 2021 Q-Step summer internships is 19/04/2021. You can find out about the available projects on the Summer internships 2021 page.
Applying for an internship
To check whether you are eligible to apply for a Q-Step summer internship please visit Who can apply for a Q-Step summer placement.
Please take a look at the list of summer internships.
Students can apply for up to three UK-based internships.
Please send a separate email for each application made. Documents such as your CV and covering letter should be sent as separate attachments in the same email to email@example.com, with the subject formatted as the following:
[APPLICANT NAME] [STUDENT NUMBER] - [PROJECT REFERENCE NUMBER] [ORGANISATION NAME] - [PROJECT TITLE]
For example: Jo Bloggs 123456789 - #01a Nest - Make our people insight viz-tastic!
Please also title your CV and covering letter documents with the same formatting but also specifying CV/Cover letter.
Each application should include the following:
Your CV with:
- your address;
- your email address;
- your phone number;
- your date of birth;
- your student ID number.
A covering letter with:
- the reference number and title of the placement that you are interested in (as described in the project outline);
- the name of your degree course;
- your grade average for Year 1 of your degree;
- your grade average for semester one course units of Year 2;
- the second year Q-Step eligible quantitative course unit you are taking (see Who can apply);
- your actual or expected grade average for this course unit (if it is a Year 2 second semester course unit, this is not necessary);
- up to 500 words describing why you are interested in and suited for, the placement.
We may share covering letters with the organisation offering the placement.
Please note that the Careers Service is happy to give guidance and support to Q-Step applicants. In preparing your application you should consult the Careers Service website which includes guidance on writing CVs and covering letters. Please follow these links for more information:
- We will acknowledge your application within one week of receiving it.
- We will aim to notify you of the outcome of your application at least a week before the interview for that placement takes place.
- Students shortlisted for international placements will be invited for an interview in early April
- Students shortlisted for UK-based placements will be invited for an interview in mid April to early May
- There may be a two-stage interview depending on which organisation the placement is with
- Please have a Skype account ready as some interviews will take place over Skype
- Conditional offers will be made to successful candidates no later than one week after the final interview.
- Successful candidates will be required to attend a two-day workshop preparing for summer internships. These will be held in June, after the exam period.
- Placements will run between late June to early September
- Exact start and end dates vary between placements and should be discussed with the host organisation
- Q-Step interns are required to produce three reflective pieces at the start, middle, and end of their placement
- Q-Step Manchester will host a celebratory event in November
- Interns are required to produce a report of their experience in the form of a poster which will be displayed at this event
- Interns will have the opportunity to present their work through Three Minute Presentations (see Events for more information)
Contact details for enquiries are covered in each of the placement outlines.
For general enquiries on the summer internship programme, please send an email to: