Simon and Hallsworth Visiting Professorships
Guidance and applications
Eligibility and how to apply
The 2021/22 application round is now closed. The 2022/23 competition will open in Autumn 2021.
Visiting Professorships are intended to enable eminent scholars with an international reputation to visit the University to assist in its research and teaching. Visiting Professorships are not open for personal application but instead for nomination by relevant schools/discipline areas at the University of Manchester.
How to submit a nomination
Please download the application form
Colleagues wishing to nominate a Visiting Professor (VP) should contact their School Research Support Manager. School Research Support Managers should rank their nominations and send a completed application form and a short CV (max 2 pages) for each candidate to Louise McMahon (email@example.com) by 30 April 2021. Please note that applications received directly from nominees will not be accepted. Only applications received via School Research Support Managers will be accepted. Decisions will be communicated to Schools by the end of June 2021.
Guidance on completing the application form
- The name of an academic point of contact responsible for hosting the visit
- School hosting the visit
- Visiting Professorship scheme (select Simon or Hallsworth from the drop-down menu)
- Name of proposed Visiting Professor
- Institution of proposed Visiting Professor
- Date of birth of proposed Visiting Professor (for HR)
- Email address of proposed Visiting Professor
- Confirmation that the School can host the VP (including study space)
- A paragraph that outlines how the proposed visit relates to the School's research agenda
- A list of the planned and provisional activities that the VP will undertake. This might include one or more of the following: presenting their research at an academic event (e.g. a high profile lecture, seminar or workshop to coincide with their visit); a masterclass or workshop for graduate students; being available for meetings with doctoral students; a contribution to undergraduate teaching; a public engagement event
- The provisional dates of the visit
- Costing – budget plan for the visit, to be prepared in liaison with the School Research Support Office. Eligible costs are the expenses of the VP(s) (i.e. his/her travel to UK, within UK, accommodation, meals and any other reasonable research expenses incurred during the visit)
A short CV of the proposed visitor should also be attached. Please note: the CV should be no more than two sides of A4. Longer CVs will not be accepted.
Funding is normally available as follows:
- Simon Visiting Professorships: Visits of 2-6 weeks duration
- Hallsworth Visiting Professorships: Visits of 2-12 weeks duration
The School/Discipline Area should ensure that the cost of the visit can be met from the amount requested.
Allocations will meet only the expenses of the VP(s) (i.e. his/her travel to UK, within UK, accommodation, meals and any other reasonable research expenses incurred during the visit).
Guidance on the rates permissible for accommodation and a list of suggested accommodation providers is available upon request from the Committee Secretary.
Recurrent visits will be considered by the committees but the nomination cases must have an exceptional rationale for two years funding and should involve a key collaborative project.
Colleagues are advised to liaise with their School Research Office to prepare the budget before submitting nominations for VPs to their School Research Support Manager. If Schools are submitting more than one VP nomination they are asked to rank their nominations.
Simon and Hallsworth Visiting Professorships: Post-award administration
The Secretary will inform the School academic champions, Research Support Managers and the Treasury Accountant in central finance once nominations for VPs have been approved by the Simon and Hallsworth Committees.
The School Research Support Manager will arrange for the VP to complete a Visitor Form in advance of the visit as per the University’s Visitors Policy and Procedure and issue a Visitor Invitation Letter including an IT account application form.
The School Research Support Manager will contact the relevant academic champion and the visitor two months prior to the commencement of the visit to ensure that planning is on track and to provide advice to help the smooth running of the visit. Visa arrangements, if applicable, are the sole responsibility of the visitor, but HR can provide advice on visa requirements if required.
The central finance office will transfer VP allocations to Schools. All expenses must be claimed against, or charged to this School account (i.e. a School may book accommodation for the VP in advance - in fact it is strongly recommended that Schools arrange and pay directly in advance for as much of the VP’s expenses as possible). Any additional expenses incurred by the VP during their visit will need to be reimbursed via the usual University expense form and be supported by appropriate receipts. School Research Support Managers can advise precisely on the arrangements.
Please note that a Visiting Professor is not paid a salary for the tenure of the Professorship. In special circumstances an honorarium may be paid, but this will not be a charge against the funds made available for that Professorship, or on the Hallsworth/Simon Fund that provides for Professorships.
On arrival the VP should report to HR with their appointment letter, passport and any relevant visa documentation. HR will produce a staff card (for library access).
Responsibility of the nominating member of staff (the 'academic champion') and host School
The academic champion nominating the Visiting Professor will be responsible for management of the visit throughout the duration of the award. Following the approval of the application he or she will:
- Contact the Visiting Professor on a regular and timely basis to ensure that the visit schedule is agreed and finalised well in advance of the visit commencing
- Ensure that HR and the School Office are informed of start and end dates for the visit so that the appointment can be set up on the system and a staff card can be ready for the VP when he/she arrives
- Liaise with the respective school research office to seek advice and support on all practical and logistical aspects to the visit. This may include arranging suitable travel and accommodation for the visitor whilst in the UK; promoting any specific lectures, workshops or conferences associated with the visit or identifying suitable temporary office space should this be required
- Ensure that final reports are written and sent to the committee secretary following the agreed template and within four weeks of the completion of the visit. For examples of previous reports please contact Louise McMahon
- Provide periodic updates to the Simon and Hallsworth committees on any long term strategic and collaborative research agendas that may have arisen as a direct and/or indirect result of the visit
- Liaise with the School Finance Office to ensure that funds have been transferred and that an account code has been established for relevant expenses claims